The "Eve" me

This year in BSF we are studying Genesis. I have never thought that the basis of everything can be found in Genesis. Genesis has been like a story book for me and doesnt really carry deep meaning other than telling us that we are all Adam's descendants and thus we are sinners.

However.. only 3 chapters of study, my eyes are opened to the things that I never see and think before.
today.. God finally brought me to a realisation that I am like Eve in so many ways. The devil uses me like how he used Eve. And the silly thing is I fall into His trap even though Eve's example should have been a warning for me.
There are 2 main steps that the Satan tempted Eve.

First, he caused Eve to think that God has kept something good away from her.
Eve was allowed to eat from any fruit from the trees in Eden but not the tree of evil and life. The devil makes her think that God is bad bcos He doesnt want Eve to eat from that tree. he obviously stir the focus of Eve from all the blessings that she had to the one thing that she cant have.  When i first read about this story,  i already fell into devil's trap bcos i did wonder why, if God is so good, why dont He let Eve eat from any tree, and if He doesnt want Eve to eat from that tree, why would He put the tree in the middle of the garden?
indirectly, the devil has successfully pull me think the way he wants me to. How stupid right! The tree was there to test Adam and Eve's obedience to God. God never intended Adam and Eve to obey God out of no choice. If only they choose to obey God, in time they will be able to eat from the tree ( im sure of this!!). instead, Eve chose to believe in the devil and not God who has provided everything for her.

second, the Satan caused Eve to think that there is no real consequence to sin or at least the consequence wont be that severe. he told Eve "you will not surely die" (GEN 3). Up to that time, Eve never witness death, and for sure she is led to believe In that. Arent we the same so many times? We are led to believe that there is no heaven and earth. Life is once and for all. we will not suffer any consequences in after life. bla bla bla.
Indirectly, we have been led to doubt God's words.

This happens a lot in my life and it is repeated again and again. The main reason that my joy is robbed is bcos like Eve, im led to focus on the one thing that i dont have. It makes me think about it day and night, pray for miracle for it to happen,and  expect to get it soon. While i forgot about all the other things that God has given me, and neglect them as if they are all meaningless. Even at times I questioned God's goodness just bcos He withholds this particular thing from me. Now, I have learnt that God is not withholding anything from me.He is testing how obedient I can be towards Him. He wants me to obey Him out of love and no other motives. In fact, since the beginning He has already given me this thing that I wanted but He just havent handed to me bcos He is waiting for the right time.

The devil also led me to think that there is no big deal with sin, since Jesus has died for me and all my sins have been wiped by Him. Instead of thinking about how priceless His sacrifice and therefore stop sinning,  im led to take advantage from Jesus. How stupid! the devil tempts me to think about how good it is to give into the temptation and lets deal with the consequence later. And often, i fell into it.. even though I know how guilty and ashamed I feel about it afterwards..

Compare Jesus and Eve's tempation.
Satan tempts Jesus after 40 days of fasting. Imagine how starvinG Jesus was and imagine how a single bread could easily tempts him. However Jesus stands firm for the sake of the humanity, to save us! While Eve had everything yet Satan succeed to tempt her and she fell and caused the fall of humanity.

I guess this lesson strikes me so much especially in term of sin's consequences. Every sin has its consequences whether its small or big. as a human, we often think that well.. it will not be a big deal, i will deal with it. undoubtly, one sin that Eve commited caused us to suffer in this world. therefore , our next generations may also suffer the consequences of our sins. Yet we are unaware of it at all and continue to follow the pattern of this world. This world keeps on telling us to live as we like, to live as if there is no tomorrow. How selfish! Unconsciously when we live this way, we have fell into devil's trap.

Hope this sharing could deepen our thoughts about God and Satan and know who to follow.

Glory to God

Orange girl :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BSF Homiletics

Learning to trust the Lord

Faithfully (lyrics by Eric and Leslie Ludy)