Lesson learnt from Abram and God's promises in my life

Last saturday, after meeting Sally and I reached home, I felt so sad. Earlier she didnt attend BSF leaders meeting because she has a guest from Perth. That itself feels so different. . I am so used to Seeing Sally every Saturday morning and we will usually catch up about the week, But now, i could feel the difference later that day, I had dinner with Sally and her boyfriend and fanny which then I Found out that she wont be going to church on Sunday because she will be accompanying her boyfriend visiting Another church. Then that Was the moment I felt So sad, realising that exactly 20 days after  today, this is what going to happen, I will no longer see Sally at BSF,church or during prayer. I was just So sad, my best friend in Melbourne , Who has been through so much with me is leaving. I never like farewell anyway and especially this time is my Very bestie's turn.

 I started to feel overwhelmed the more I think about it . The more I think about it , the more I'm lost and felt so alone. Up to the point where I dont know anymore What My life's calling is and the purpose of me be in Melbourne & this world. I cried out to God, begging Him'to tell me what I'm supposed to do. What's next ?  Is it just gonna be serving at BSF and church? What is the AIM? The Vision? Mission? Not that Im not satisfied With serving Him,but more to the bigger purpose behind all this. At this moment I am laying the building blocks which I dont know what God wants me to build. If I dont know where I am heading, how Can plan for next? Not long after that there was still small voice inside me telling me to read my own blog. I was a bit tired at that time so just lay down and start reading my own blog from the beginnIng (2010).

 Cant believe my own blog could calm me in this way. It answers So many questions that I asked God at that time. One of the Major ones Is MY life's calling  which I dont even remember writing about. It is amazing how God can use anything to answer our prayer. I am so glad that I listen to the still small voice inside me. Since I haven t read my blog in such a long time I could See how God really guides me step by Step Into to becoming the Person He wants me to be . The prophecies that I got slowly becomes true in my life. I start to Connect the dots and start to know why certain things has to happen in my life. It was a painful journey yet It was full of Joy knowing that I am heading to the right direction though I cant see it that way at that time.

 For eg: there was one that told me that I am lnfluencial leader, I will bring many to the kingdom of God . Looking at it now, I am the youth leader in my cell group and leader In my bible study discussion group. Certainly it is not my own doing and I can see how human can only plan but ultimately God is bringing us to the destination. Another prophecy was my family will be saved through me. At that time my sister was not saved yet. Though at that time it was scary to think about how I could bring them to God but God didnt leave me alone. There was so many now that I Could say Oh,.. and ah,.. because now I understand why certain things has to happen in my life.

 Looking at that and the lesson that I learnt at bsf this week , I learnt about God so much.   
Genetics 15 
  The [Lord]'s Promise to Abram
 1 Later the [Lord] spoke to Abram in a vision, “Abram, don't be afraid! I will protect you and reward you greatly.” 2 But Abram answered, “[Lord] All-Powerful, you have given me everything I could ask for, except children. And when I die, Eliezer of Damascus will get all I own.   3 You have not given me any children, and this servant of mine will inherit everything.” 4 The [Lord] replied, “No, he won't! You will have a son of your own, and everything you have will be his.” 5  Then the [Lord] took Abram outside and said, “Look at the sky and see if you can count the stars. That's how many descendants you will have.”   6  Abram believed the [Lord], so the [Lord] was pleased with him and accepted him. The [Lord] Makes //Another Promise //to Abram     7 The [Lord] said to Abram, “I brought you here from Ur in Chaldea, and I gave you this land.”   8 Abram asked, “[Lord] God, how can I know the land will be mine?”   9 Then the [Lord] told him, “Bring me a three-year-old cow, a three-year-old female goat, a three-year-old ram, a dove, and a young pigeon.” 10 Abram obeyed the [Lord]. Then he cut the animals in half and laid the two halves of each animal opposite each other on the ground. But he did not cut the doves and pigeons in half.   11 And when birds came down to eat the animals, Abram chased them away. 12    As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and everything became dark and frightening.   13-15  Then the [Lord] said: Abram, you will live to an old age and die in peace. But I solemnly promise that your descendants will live as foreigners in a land that doesn't belong to them. They will be forced into slavery and abused for 400 years. But I will terribly punish the nation that enslaves them, and they will leave with many possessions.   16 Four generations later,  your descendants will return here and take this land, because only then will the people who live here be so sinful that they deserve to be punished. 17 Sometime after sunset, when it was very dark, a smoking cooking pot and a flaming fire passed between the two halves of each animal.   18  At that time the [Lord] made an agreement with Abram and told him: I will give your descendants the land east of the Shihor River on the border of Egypt as far as the Euphrates River. 19 They will possess the land of the Kenites, the Kenizzites, the Kadmonites, 20 the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaites, 21 the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.


       Hope you are still with me haha... What im going to share is really a revelation from God. So the story at this moment is when Abram just rescued Lot from the 4 kings that captured him and took all his possessions. At that time Abram just went for war to rescue him without even thinking much about himself, but jm pretty sure deep down he might be worried what if the enemy came back? Thats why God gave him that vision that He will be His shield and His very great reward. But then Abram remembered again about the original promise that he got when he was called out of his land, that was obtaining the Promised land. Thats why he pleaded to God asking Him how he could have the land with his childlessness state. And btw, arent we like that? We know the promises that God gave us but so many times we can be like Abram , putting out all our inabilities before God instead trusting Him to do what He can? Okay.. Back to Abram, GOD then told him to not worry and look at the stars in the sky because his descendants will be as many as the stars. Not only that, He actually signed the promise with a new covenant. initially i couldnot understand why God has to ask Abram to bring all those animals and the he halved them. Then I try to search through the web and find out the real context behind it. Actually it was Jewish culture to cut the animals into 2 then separate them into 2 sides when they are making contract. and then whoever the one who walked on the centre will be the one who takes responsibility of the covenant. So if i walked on the centre and I failed to do what I said , I am ready to be cut into half just like the animals. When I read that, I was like... wow!! cos in verse  17 Sometime after sunset, when it was very dark, a smoking cooking pot and a flaming fire passed between the two halves of each animal.  That flaming fire itself is God because again and again the bible describe God as consuming fire (if you dont trust me, you can google it). That really proved to me that God takes His promise seriously though we may not take it seriously. Moreover, to affirm Abram even more, God gave him the glimpse of what's gonna happen to his descendants. 13-15  Then the [Lord] said: Abram, you will live to an old age and die in peace. But I solemnly promise that your descendants will live as foreigners in a land that doesn't belong to them. They will be forced into slavery and abused for 400 years. But I will terribly punish the nation that enslaves them, and they will leave with many possessions.   16 Four generations later,  your descendants will return here and take this land, because only then will the people who live here be so sinful that they deserve to be punished.
If you know about Abraham's story from the beginning, you will come to know that God has promised Abram with the same promise all this while but He NEVER told Abram what's going to happen. but here we see that God actually gave him the vision. My interpretation is that Abram has that kind of relationship that is so close that God is willing to tell him the BIG secret. Honestly, I want that. hahah.. Imagine if you can know how you are going to die, how your children gonna grow up, how your life will be in 10 years time, so and so.. =)

This passage teaches me a lot about God's promise. not so much about His promises but about God's nature in fulfilling His promises in our life. Linking Abram's story to my own life, I can see how each prophecies that God gave me since 2010 has not even once failed to be fulfilled in my life. When I say prophecies, it doesnt just limit to what some prophets told you personally , but it could be the promises that you read on your bible that rhyme in your heart or it could even be the words that your cell group leader or any spiritual leader said to you. whatever it is, believe that it will happen because indeed it will. I am glad that I know these promises because in fact it is these promises that make me look forward to tomorrow and live my life with hope. 

If any of you still unsure of what kind of promise that God gives you, I would strongly encourage you to spend more time in your prayer and bible reading. seek Him... and He will make it known to you just as how He made known to Abram. I also hope that this sharing may encourage you or ignite your desire to know more about God. Our God is living God...dont try to put Him in a box. =)


NB: just wanna share with you this girl that I love so much.. thank you Sal for walking all these years with me... you will be remembered!

All glory to God

Orange girl 

Comments

  1. That picture can be misleading as if the men is Sally BF, which i believe is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I dont really care what others think of who Sally's bf is. Im sharing that pic just bcos i wanna keep sally in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BSF Homiletics

Faithfully (lyrics by Eric and Leslie Ludy)

Learning to trust the Lord